Saudi Arabia has an abysmal human rights record, particularly with regards to protecting women.
Restrictions against women
– Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world where women are not allowed to drive
– When leaving the house, Saudi women need to be accompanied by a "mahram" who is usually a male relative that a woman cannot marry at any time in her life
– A woman cannot open a bank account without her husband’s permission
– Some restaurants ban single women "to avoid shocking behaviour"
– Saudi women can not go for a swim
– A law prevents female patients visiting a male doctor, without being accompanied by a male guardian
– Trying clothes when shopping is forbidden
– While they were allowed to compete in sports, women have to be accompanied by a male guardian and wear a "Sharia-compliant" sports kit that covers their hair
– A woman is barred from entering a cemetery
– Saudi women are banned from reading an uncensored fashion magazine
– Buying a Barbie doll is forbidden as the toys are seen to stand for luxurious excess and physical beauty…